Monday, September 6, 2010

You made her do her fear.

Today was Day 1 of shooting. We started with an easy scene. Priscilla in the library. This shot required a dolly. Because the character is named Dolly, I suggested referring to the camera dolly by another name, such as "camera wagon" or "priscilla." The dolly is a platform with rubber wheels, and those wheels were loaded onto smaller metal platforms with skateboard wheels. And those wheels were on a train track. This piece of equipment that weighs many hundreds of pounds is used to record moving shots on a camera that's teenier than your face.

Later, we did scene 81. Our first big dialogue scene. There were no problems. Aside from the sun. Am I right, film people? I really like how Brett covers scenes. Always with very minimal coverage, if any. Standard coverage and overcutting tends to suck the life out of scenes a lot of the time. And Marco and crew are making it pop like gangbusters, which is an old saying.

Here's what the scene kinda looked like:

Here's the scene re-enacted by dogs:

During some down time, I scoured the field, looking for my tiny beard trimmer attachment (see previous blog). I felt like goddamn Wayne Szalinski. After 5 or 10 minutes, I found it. It does me no good because my clipper is still fucking broken. In fact, the only reason I even looked for it was to experience the fleeting victory of finding it. Which was exactly as I'd imagined it-- brief and kinda depressing.

The shoot today required the digging of a big hole on the property. Brett dug the hole, determined to discover something, which he did, when he struck water a few feet down. I told him we should look for some dinosaur bones or something. He said, "You gotta be fucking kidding me. Yeah, let's look for FUCKING DINOSAURS. Here, I'll start us off. Look, I found a fucking T-rex." It was pretty awesome.

We finished shooting by dinnertime. Dinner was pork and/or eggplant. Brett decided to shoot something after dinner, to sort of make up for potential lost time on a future day, which is a smart idea. It was a scene in which Dolly would have to make and eat a grilled cheese sandwich. Because of this, Priscilla didn't eat dinner. After dinner, we shot Priscilla making the sandwich, which took surprisingly long. But it's a good scene. Brett was shocked that Priscilla opted to use Provolone instead of American cheese. But I tried it and it was yummerz. How do you like this blog, by the way? Should I talk more about how the sandwich tasted? Anyway, it ended up being hours after dinnertime before we finally got to the shot where Priscilla gets to eat the sandwich. She was starving. But that was only the beginning of the problems she would face.

Apparently, Priscilla makes a claw with her hand when she picks up a sandwich, and that bothers Brett. Some time was devoted to... fixing this. Then, Priscilla had to eat the whole sandwich while the entire crew watched. But it turns out that her fear is people watching her eat. And Brett made her do her fear. Brett also called out directions like "chew slower" (which was so hard not to laugh at), and "take a sip of your drink after this bite," which is something that actually hurts her throat! When people see this movie and think about the standout scenes, they probably won't remember the grilled cheese sandwich scene. But it was one of the most memorable scenes I've ever been a part of.

Not much else is going on. I'm being eaten alive by bugs out here. It would be accurate to say that humans run this place, but it would be more accurate to say we are the slaves of flying microscopic bloodsucking rapists. Right now I can see some of them literally beating at the living room window like zombies. I'm also having a really bad allergic reaction to the entire farm. Either from dust or pollen or nature or whatever the fuck I'm allergic to. My eyes and throat are always itchy. Is there a drug for this? For mysterious allergies? Also, I found a really nice bullshit adult contemporary station I like. WCEI 96.7 FM. Do you think adult contemporary stations are lame? No. You are fucking lame for putting me in a box, bitch.

-Diego

No comments:

Post a Comment