Sunday, September 12, 2010

ALF, don't help Mr. Ochmonek... KILL HIMSELF...

So I went to sleep last night at 7am. The plan was to wake up at 9:30am and go to Target at 10. I woke up at 10:30, stumbled around my room all crazy, thought to myself, "What am I doing?" and went back to sleep. A couple hours later, we went to Target for real. I think everyone else had a similar morning. At Target, we slowly came back to ourselves. Brett was genuinely scared by a children's jack-in-the-box toy designed hundreds of years ago. Here's a tip-- the clown ALWAYS comes out right as the weasel goes pop.

After procuring several necessary provisions, we stopped for lunch at Chili. I realized in my head that with the appetizers and milkshakes we were ordering, we wouldn't be hungry in the slightest for our actual entrées. But I didn't say anything, because I figured the mutual discovery would be more fun. Luckily, my lunch was kinda gross, so I didn't feel the need to eat too much of it. But it was still super fun. I don't get to go to places like that very often in LA. Our waitress was kinda frazzled. Maybe we weren't the typical Sunday afternoon patrons.

When we got home, I helped Brett schedule the next few days of the shoot. Where last week was the Dolly & Harry week, this week will be the Just Dolly week. All Dolly, all the time. Nothing but Dolly in the morning and Dolly in the evening. We're starting with day shoots, which will be kinda nice, I think. I dunno. During the campfire shoot last week, Chris said he was enjoying the night shoots. And on that night, I definitely agreed. But too many indoor night shoots can fry your skull. Of course, that was not our last campfire shoot, so we'll get to do that again. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. The next few days, we'll be watching Dolly basically creep around a farm by herself, nonstop. Both before and after the... well, you know. Brett and I scheduled the next three days, but it took a few hours, because after the second day, Brett went upstairs to take a nap.

At this time, I walked back to the Harry house, where Schatz was teaching Chris how to play chess. He seems like a really good teacher. He was telling Chris about principles and variations of chess I'd never even heard of. I like chess, but I'm a very casual player. I can beat you if you kinda suck. I prefer Risk. Or Sorry! Or... I dunno... Uno?

When I went back to the house to finish scheduling with Brett, I found that Anne was attempting to occupy Phoebe with some videos. First there was a VHS recording someone had made of Looney Tunes. This was in pretty decent condition, with some really kickass Sylvester cartoons that I was frankly really enjoying at the current age of 27, but Phoebe couldn't give a shit. Then, Anne put on Muppet Treasure Island. Phoebe seemed to find it mildly interesting, but not nearly as interesting as the discovery that she could climb the back of the recliner and flip the light switch on and off. So she did that for a while, until Brett stopped her. Eventually Chris came down and we enjoyed the touching ending where Tim Curry can't bring himself to shoot the stupid kid. My favorite Muppet is Pepe the Prawn. I don't think he was in this.

After that, there was a lot of tentative meandering as we realized we had forgotten what people do for fun. Maybe there was just too much pressure to have a good time because this was our first day off from shooting. We played Apples to Apples. Chris was winning, then I caught up, but right before we finished, Phoebe came in and ruined the game. The thing Phoebe seems to love more than anything is cards. There's a deck of cards in this house and I don't think a day has passed that Phoebe has not grabbed the cards, run up to me, given me the cards, run away, run back, taken the cards back, run away, run back, and repeated that same shit for an hour. Cards, for some reason, are her favorite thing in the world, right next to uncapped pens and cheddar bunnies. So when Brett told Phoebe she couldn't play with our Apples to Apples cards for the rest of her life, Phoebe lost her shit. No one won that game.

Later on, I found that the crew, after a fine meal at a seafood place called Suicide Bridge, was kicking back in the Harry house with some drinks and ping pong. I tried to mix myself a drink. It was nice. Then I went back to the Dolly house and we watched Joe Dirt. This movie is such an oddity. But David Spade keeps it rolling with a kinda backwards charisma and a lot of heart. Who wouldn't love Joe Dirt? He and Jamie Pressly are magic onscreen together. And the soundtrack is pretty rockin'. The Hollywood Reporter says Spade is developing a Joe Dirt animated series on TBS. I feel bad for David Spade.

When I came back, the dudes in the Harry house were watching Ghost Writer. I thought to myself, "I won't put my laundry in the dryer yet, because they're watching a movie. I'm considerate." But now I'm running the dryer when people are trying to sleep instead. I think sometimes I do dumb things. I just hope people realize I mean well.

-Diego

No comments:

Post a Comment