Friday, September 10, 2010

Cut with the hand that you are.

So, what was yesterday? Thursday? I don't know about most everyone else, but this crash reverse sleep schedule is really difficult to adapt to. Not necessarily the staying awake part, but the being able to sleep for a solid uninterrupted amount during the day part. I keep waking up. Priscilla told me she found herself wide awake at 11am and started flopping around, screaming, "No! No!"

I got out of bed in the early evening and walked to the Dolly house. When I came in, Priscilla was watching Dick Tracy. I watched some as I had a breakfast of chicken & waffles. This movie is incredible, BTW. The music alone makes it worth watching, but it's really amazing on all fronts. It angers me that the DVD still hasn't gotten a special edition, and doesn't even include the Roger Rabbit short that preceded the film in theatres in 1990. And the fact that a Dick Tracy sequel never happened simply because of legal issues makes me fucking SICK. We stopped watching to shoot some more dock stuff at the magic sunset hour. Then we came back and watched almost to the ending, but we were forced to clear out of the red room so Marco could set it up for the dumb movie we're shooting.



We moved into the dining room, where Priscilla watched Nosferatu on her laptop and Brett watched Parallax View, which he gave me a "hard recommend" on, but which I later overheard him telling Chris was "such a downer." Brett has been watching all the Warren Beatty movies because he's reading a book about Warren Beatty. Warren Beatty is great. I haven't seen a lot of his movies, but my favorite is either Dick Tracy or Bulworth. There was quite a bit of down time at this point. As I made a spreadsheet of every scene in the movie, Brett studied the fucking elements of the periodic table on his iPad. He read Chris some Sylvester Stallone tweets and remarked, "If there's a reason to be on Twitter, it's Stallone." Then we watched a horrible woman on YouTube reacting negatively to the last American Idol finale. I guess not everything we're watching will inform how we make Waterhole Cove. But I do expect to see a lot of Max Schreck in Priscilla's silent scenes.

Then we shot scenes 116 and 122, which involve a character arriving and leaving. For 116, the rolling priscilla wagon was set up and the entire scene was shot through a black sheet with a hole in the middle. Why did we do this? Look, I can't just explain every little detail of everything for you. Just know that it's part of the magic of moviemaking. And for 122, the camera was stuck to the window with a suction cup and shot through the glass. Trust me, this is how they do real movies.

At around 1am, we broke for lunch. Everyone had something different, supplemented with Jiffy Pop and TGI Fridays mozzarella sticks, which I arranged circularly on the plate to make it more fancy. After lunch, Brett told me a bunch of depressing entertainment news. Like, Rich Cronin, the lead singer of LFO, finally succumbed to his acute myelogenous leukemia at the age of 35. Which means LFO will never be able to reunite, which they did once in June 2009 before splitting up again in September 2009. Maybe you think LFO is lame. But they were the only boy band to pepper the simpleminded triteness of their lyrics with what I can only describe as Sandleresque absurdity. And also, Britney Spears's bodyguard is apparently suing her? Because she would like, call him into her room and he would go in, and she would be totally naked. And she would ask him for 7-Ups. But like, the subtext was like, "Do you wanna fuck me?" But then he just had to get her the 7-Ups; otherwise, he's the asshole. And she would like, fuck guys in front of him. It sounds like she played a lot of mind games with him. Why couldn't she just say, "I think I like you. We should hang out some more, just the two of us." She also would ask for his belt and then beat her kids with it. And then she gave her kids fish that they were allergic to. Is it possible she doesn't want her kids anymore? I used to really like Britney Spears.



Then we shot part of a dinner scene. After seeing Brett adjust a lot of Chris's eating habits for the scene, and remembering the infamous grilled cheese shoot, I can attest that normal eating just doesn't look like normal eating on film.

Fun fact: the character of Harry is seen eating chicken. Actor Chris Shields is a vegetarian. He was actually eating a veggie chicken patty. In the wide shot, it will be real chicken though. And Priscilla, who has no dietary restrictions that I can recall, didn't eat anything in her close-up. But that was more of a character choice, as you, the reader, well know, having already seen the final cut of the film. Tonight, we shoot the rest of this dinner scene, and then tomorrow we transition back into days. Many of us will lose our grip on reality. Which will be perfect for the 9/11 shoot of Harry's final scene. Possibly the most important and dangerous scene that Harry is in. I'd tell you which scene, but the name keeps changing.

-Diego

No comments:

Post a Comment