Saturday, September 11, 2010

Things That Make You Go Hmmm...

Here is a deleted scene from the original first draft of "The Waterhole Cove Murders," dating back to 2007:

INT. WORKOUT STUDIO - NIGHT


A woman steps into frame. She's wearing a white fencing armor with mask and clutching a sabre. This is DOLLY. She faces her opponent. A man in a wheelchair, wearing the same armor and mask, also holding a sabre. This is ORLANDO.


They circle each other. She lunges. He parries. She tries again. Again he deflects. They trade swipes with their blades, always a second ahead of each other, even though Orlando is in a wheelchair and has to perform swift surgical maneuvers with his left arm on the wheel. She runs up walls and jumps over his head. He does the same, all while in the wheelchair. Finally, they both strike at each other and the blades collide and SHATTER. They remove their masks. Orlando has a thick lumberjack's beard.


ORLANDO
I've taught you well, Dolly. I fear our skills may be so matched that there is no challenge left for us except death.

DOLLY
I've taken a job as the caretaker of a farm. Well, it's not really a farm, but they call it that... it's in Maryland.

Orlando is hurt. Dolly is like a daughter to him.


ORLANDO
You're like a daughter to me.

DOLLY
I'll miss you terribly, obviously. But I think this is something I need to do. I just don't know if I can.

Orlando throws his sabre. It stabs the ground perfectly and wobbles a bit, like in Braveheart. He lifts his legs with his hands and puts his feet on the ground. He then braces himself on the armrests of the wheelchair and struggles to lift himself up. Exerting Herculean effort, Orlando rises and stands, presumably for the first time in his life.


ORLANDO
I don't train pushovers. I train champions. You are Dolly Mayble. You can do anything.

Dolly gazes into his eyes. Although she never believed herself worthy enough, if things had been different...


DOLLY
Thank you.

Dolly turns and walks away. She pulls a graham cracker out of her pocket and eats it as she leaves. As he watches her leave, Orlando never sits down.


FADE TO BLACK.

No comments:

Post a Comment