Sunday, September 19, 2010

Not for ska.

Yesterday was the first day of shooting for Carl Fieler in the role of Jim. We got up a couple hours early and went to Target to buy his wardrobe and stuff. Snap decisions being made mere hours before being immortalized in film forever.

Since we were missing breakfast, we drove thru Chick-fil-A. Carl was momentarily panicked that it might be Sunday and Chick-fil-A would be closed. We agreed that wanting to go to Chick-fil-A and then realizing it's Sunday is the worst feeling imaginable. It's worse than impregnating an underage girl. At least in terms of how your life is affected. The Chick-fil-A was awesome. I am thankful to Brett and to God for the Chick-fil-A. I don't need many things in life to be content, but Chick-fil-A is one of them.

When we got back, we did some Dolly/Jim scenes. We realized that our 4-takes-or-less groove was gone. This was because there were now so many people in the house (for the dinner scene that night) and they kept accidentally interfering with the absolute silence we needed for our whisper-quiet dialogue scene. I realized Chris and I were really stressing about this, but it turned out the schedule left a lot of buffer space, and we finished with plenty of time.

While waiting for our real dinner/fake dinner party scene, we watched a shit-ton of old theme songs on YouTube, and, again, I'm sorry to rock your entire reality, but the television theme song as an art form peaked in the 90's. To have your skull reformatted, check out the full theme for Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

Then we ate dinner for real. It was really good. We ate exactly what you see us eating on screen. Then, we shot ourselves pretending to eat and talk during dinner. Brett had had this idea that Schatz would talk to Dolly about chess for a really long time and it would be funny, so we shot that first. Then we turned it around and did my side of the table. I was going to improvise something after asking Dolly how she knew John, but Brett did NOT want it to be funny. I ended up telling different amusing anecdotes about how I met John in every take. To my surprise, Brett loved it. Turns out funny anecdotes were okay. For realism, I was drinking the entire time.

After shooting was over, we prepared for our day off by staying up and drinking while I cranked more 90's dance hits. Some people played N64, but I couldn't handle it. I never had an N64 growing up. I went from SNES to PlayStation. So.

Oh, and the big thing that went horribly wrong (mentioned in the previous blog)? Why, it was just the dessert. "Disaster pudding," they called it, which is when a cake goes wrong and you just eat the fucked up cake. But it was delicious. Very nice.

-Diego

No comments:

Post a Comment