Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Whatchu readin' on?

Another day of non-stop sweating, sinus-crippling allergies, and scratching bug bites beyond the threshold of pain. We're actually having a great time shooting this. At least I am. I try not to show emotion around the cast and crew. I am the Assistant Director, so they have to see me as a figure of authority. If you asked any of them, they would probably describe me as a dignified, stern commander.

Yesterday was Day 2. We shot a lot of Dolly/Harry stuff. Some of it was simple "hello how are you" stuff. Some of it heavy. The only constant is that during every scene, at least once, Brett will tell one of the actors not to look up. "In the next take, don't look up. Otherwise, everything was fine." This conditioned Priscilla never to look up, and for that reason, she fell down some outdoor steps and cut her foot.

Throughout the day, some of us will hang out with Phoebe, because she is SO dependent on the attention and supervision of adults. I rarely see her just doing her own thing. Here she is swinging and high-fiving:

Before dinner, I found this deck of cards called the Power Animal Oracle Cards. They're like tarot, but with animals. I gave Chris a reading. He chose three cards, to represent his past, present, and future. His past card was DOLPHIN (Playfulness). It said "Take time to PLAY." Chris had apparently played around in his past. His present card was BUFFALO (Abundance). It said "YOU ARE PROVIDED FOR in all ways." Chris kinda agreed with this. His future card was GIRAFFE (Foresight). It said "YOU ARE ABLE TO SEE what is in store for the future." We didn't know if this meant he could predict his future now, or that in the future, he will be able to predict his own future. What's the animal for confusion?

Then Chris gave me a reading. My past card was DEER (Pathfinder). It said "TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS to guide you through this situation." I've been using my instincts in the past. My present card was MONKEY (Ingenuity). It said "The situation calls for ADAPTABILITY and INNOVATION." So I adapt and innovate now. And my future card was TURTLE (Retreat). It said "STOP TRYING to make something happen." What? I have to stop trying? What the fuck does this card want me to do? Just do nothing? Give up? What a bunch of shit! Chris asked me if I read the instructions for the cards correctly. I told him I skimmed them. We asked Priscilla if she wanted a reading and she said no.

Later that night, we went out to the dock and scoped out what the dock was like at night. We saw some constellations, which Anne was better at identifying than Brett's iPhone app. Then we threw together a scene of what would happen if Dolly and Harry went night swimming. We also saw some aliens, but they were too chicken shit to abduct us.

At the end of the night, I came back to the Harry house to write this blog. I was excited because the router signal was "Low," which is sooo much better than when it's "Very Low." But then I fell asleep before I could finish writing it. Maybe because I took a Benadryl. I remember sitting on my bed trying to finish writing, but I was just staring at the screen, braindead. Just trapped in my own mind, unable to put together a sentence for what seemed like hours, but may have been only a minute. It was insane. I better not have Lyme disease.

-Diego

No comments:

Post a Comment