Friday, September 17, 2010

Another Night

Here is some more deleted material from the 2007 original first draft of "The Waterhole Cove Murders." Though it was one of the first things to be excised, this sequence originally took place near the end of the film:

INT. RED ROOM - DAY

Dolly opens the door. She finds a man standing there, in a hat and suit.

MAN
Good morning. I'm a private investigator. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions.

DOLLY
Regarding what?

MAN
Missing person.

The man hands her a photo of Jim.

MAN
His name's Jim Wheeler. He's from Chicago. Been missing since last week.

Dolly stares at the picture, then hands it back.

DOLLY
Haven't seen him.

MAN
Is it okay if I come in?

INT. DINING ROOM - DAY

Dolly and the man sit at the table. The man points at the spot where Jim died.

MAN
Is that...

Dolly stares at the man, waiting for him to finish.

MAN
What is that?

DOLLY
(cold)
What is what?

MAN
Is it... Persian?

DOLLY
Oh, I don't know.

The man smiles.

MAN
It's nice.

DOLLY
You say this man is from Chicago?

MAN
Yes, ma'am.

DOLLY
So why would he be here?

MAN
No clue, to be honest. He told his fiancée he was visiting with a friend, but his Internet history shows he bought an airline ticket here and looked up directions to this address.

Dolly feigns incredulity.

DOLLY
Wow.

MAN
Has anyone been by in the past week?

DOLLY
Uh... not really. It's been pretty quiet.

MAN
I was looking around earlier, and I found something...

The man feels around his pockets and pulls out a small object.

MAN
Is this yours?

He's holding up a key.

DOLLY
N--- yes, I think that is mine.

MAN
Which door does it go to?

Dolly thinks for a second.

DOLLY
Maybe it's not mine. Where did you find it?

MAN
Out back. You wanna test it on any doors?

DOLLY
It's okay.

The man stares at the key and puts it back in his pocket. He doesn't speak for a while. Then:

MAN
Can I tell you what I think?

Dolly slightly nods. She's not blinking.

MAN
I think this guy just wanted to disappear. He made up some story and left a bogus trail so that his fiancée wouldn't find him. Between you and me, she's a bit of a pill.

Dolly still doesn't say anything.

MAN
She also said he spoke frequently of suicide. I think he just wanted out.

DOLLY
Sorry to hear that.

The man nods silently. After a moment, Dolly stands. The man looks up at her.

DOLLY
I'm sorry, can I get you something before you go? Water?

MAN
You know, I would love a piece of pie.

Dolly tentatively walks into the kitchen.

DOLLY
Pie...

INT. KITCHEN - DUSK

Dolly consults a cookbook as she mixes things in a bowl.

INT. DINING ROOM - NIGHT

Dolly stands at the kitchen doorway.

DOLLY
It's just cooling.

The man smiles.

INT. DINING ROOM - NIGHT

Dolly watches the man eat a slice of pie. He eats the whole thing in silence.

INT. RED ROOM - NIGHT

Dolly opens the front door for the man.

MAN
Oh... it's night out.

Dolly looks puzzled.

MAN
I walked here. I'm not sure if I can find my motel in the dark... can't remember where...

DOLLY
(short)
Do you need a ride?

MAN
Oh no, ma'am. I don't want to be any trouble. I refuse.

Dolly continues holding open the door. The man doesn't leave.

INT. GUEST BEDROOM - NIGHT

Dolly turns on the light.

DOLLY
The bathroom is down the hall. Kitchen is... downstairs...

The man sits on the bed and tests the mattress.

EXT. HOUSE - DAY

The next morning.

INT. DOLLY'S BEDROOM - DAY

Dolly wakes up. She hears a splash outside. She looks out the window and sees the man swimming in the pool.

INT. KITCHEN - DAY

Dolly stands in the kitchen with her arms crossed. The man walks in wearing a robe. He pokes around the pantry, looking for a good cereal.

INT. DINING ROOM - DAY

Sitting at the table, Dolly watches the man eat some cereal very slowly. He looks around the room, admiring the decor. Then, he takes a sip of coffee.

INT. RED ROOM - DAY

Dolly is holding open the door for the man.

MAN
Well, thanks again for your time. And the pie.

Dolly nods.

MAN
So do you think I'm right, about Jim committing suicide? Do you think it could be anything else?

DOLLY
I don't know.

MAN
I'm trying to think.

The man thinks for a bit, then steps out and walks very slowly down the trail away from Waterhole Cove. Dolly watches him leave.

DOLLY
What the fuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment