Saturday, April 23, 2011

They looked like stabbers.

It's been seven months since my last entry in this blog, and some things have happened in that time.  Most notably, the decades-long legal battle between Warren Beatty and Tribune over the rights to make a Dick Tracy sequel finally culminated in favor of Beatty.  So... I mean, now he's too old, and he hasn't made a movie since 2001, but if he wants to make a Dick Tracy 2, that is now something that he can go ahead and legally do.


A few things have happened with Waterhole Cove in that time as well.  In December, Brett had me make a poster for it.  He knew exactly what he wanted it to look like, because he was basing it off a poster for another film that he loved.  He described what he wanted and sent me the still he wanted to use, and I used Adobe Photoshop to give him some options.  I encouraged the inclusion of that tagline, because just mentioning that the movie is about a woman and two men, I think that makes people want to see the movie on a base level.  Like, what, are they gonna have sex or something?  A few emails back and forth and the poster was completed.  This went far quicker than the process for the poster of Brett's first feature, The Comedian at the Friday, which had involved me drawing a cartoon sketch of the main character and figuring out how to render a spotlight on it.  At one point, someone thought that people might think Comedian is an animated movie, but it's like, no, dude.  That's just the poster.  Anyway, the Waterhole Cove poster is a lot more... less controversial.

Around that time, Brett was also working on an edit of the film, so he put together a couple trailers for it, which he uploaded to the YouTube.  But in the months since (basically all of 2011), he decided to just completely put the film aside to get a little distance from the whole thing.  This is good because it will allow him to come back to the project with fresh eyes.  So, for the past few months, absolutely nothing happened with Waterhole Cove.  One day, I randomly visited the Facebook page of it and clicked on the Discussions tab.  There, I found a lone thread started by Schatz called "Quote of the Day."  Apparently, Schatz had been keeping a "Quote of the Day" log during the shooting of the film, that I and possibly everyone else was completely unaware of.  The quotes he preserved are as follows:
Day 1: I am an ordained minister in the Church of (Lady) Gaga. - John Heppe  
Day 2: A lot of people are jumping ship on Vanilla Ice but I am still on board. - Chris Shields  
"I am enjoying my turkey sandwich with a side of funk!" - Diego Kontarovsky  
Day 4- "Jewrassic Park; it is some wort of weird cross between Jurassic Park and Schindler's List; 'if we put their name on the list the T-Rex won't eat them." -Brett Ryan Bonowicz (Paraphrased)  
Day 5- After an evening of tits and ass, what's better than some bacon and eggs? - Ian Campbell  
Day 6: "You can't molest the willling" - Priscilla McEver   
Day 7: "It's like a (UCF Professor/ UCF Professor) fanfiction!" -Brett Ryan Bonowicz  
Day 8: "See what happens when I ask to go handheld? Marco tries to kill himself" -Brett Ryan Bonowicz  
Day 9: "Phoebe, it's day for night cheese." -John Heppe  
Day 10: "Oh Davin boys, oh Davin boys, you sold your souls for a few bucks" - Ian Campbell sung to the tune of O Christmas Tree  
Day 11: It's CSI Slug down here- Michael Schatz  
Day 12: "My nickname was Matherine because I was so good at Math." - Katherine
After that, the entries mysteriously stopped.  This was an interesting discovery to make so long after the shoot.  And, for outsiders, I can confirm that this is a pretty accurate representation of our typical on-set banter.  From inappropriate sex jokes to inappropriate Holocaust jokes, right down to the thing Schatz said that makes no sense (that he then quoted himself on).


Anyway, it's now April and two more things have happened.  The first thing is that Chris and Priscilla have flown into town from New York.  They're a couple now because they fell in love while making the movie or whatever.  Sort of like a David Arquette/Courteney Cox type of thing (though hopefully not exactly like that).  They're in town because they're acting in a short for Andrew Jones, and from what I understand, I won't see them very much because they'll spend all their time shooting and then fly back to New York.  Which is a major bummer, though I did see them last week.  We watched Scream 3 on video and then saw Scream 4 in the theatre.  I hope I get to see them again.  Brett mentioned he wanted to get them for a couple hours sometime while they were here so they could record the ADR for Waterhole Cove (for the unenlightened, ADR means when you go into a sound booth and redub the dialogue that got recorded shitty).  On Monday, Brett posted a photo of Chris doing the ADR.  I was like, "Fuck, I wish I could've gone to that!"  Not just cuz I like to see Chris Priscilla Brett, but also because Willie the ADR guy is the fucking shit.  I realized then that if I really wanted to go, I should've mentioned it to Brett earlier.  Oh well.  Then on Wednesday, Brett posted a picture of Priz doing her ADR, and I was like, "Ah shit, I missed it again!"  But I've been keeping pretty busy this week anyway.  Reinstalling Windows in my malfunctioning 6-year-old Dell laptop and watching all the Cube movies on Netflix.


The second thing that happened with Waterhole Cove is that the other day, Brett burned me a DVD of his first complete rough cut of it, which I watched last night.  It was interesting to watch it after all this time.  But I was surprised, as the Assistant Director of this movie, to see my name listed in the credits as the Unit Production Manager.  I was like, what the fuck is that?  Maybe the credits are incomplete?  Gonna have to get to the bottom of this.

And that's about it so far.  Looking back on the actual shoot, I definitely learned a lot about on-set dynamics.  I also learned that I'm allergic to air.  And I caught a brief glimpse of a country lifestyle that was intense and fascinating.  I'll surely never forget our night out with Sarah, the bartender who was so insanely, unreasonably nice to us; her stupid boyfriend; and her oddball buddies.


I'd Facebook her, but... what do I even search for?  Sarah Maryland bartender?  There's like a million results.

-Diego

No comments:

Post a Comment